Cullen [Administration] Building

This building, perhaps the most recognizable building on campus, is also the oldest standing building on campus today. Constructed of limestone in the Richardson Romanesque style, it took two years to build. The administration building set the architectural tone and style of the campus. The building originally contained the physics and chemistry departments on the first floor and a chapel or auditorium space on the second and third floors. The building has been renovated twice - once in 1977 and once in 2012 through funds from the Cullen Trust for Higher Education. Today the building houses administrative offices and the alumni center on the first two floors, and classrooms on the third floor.

Images

Cullen Building Source: SU Special Collections & Archives Creator: Robert J. Stone Date: circa 1900
Cullen Cornerstone The photo shows the cornerstone's placement on September 8, 1898. The red granite cornerstone, visible in the image, is still an integral part of the building today. Source: SU Special Collections & Archives Creator: N.M. Wilcox Date: 1898
Cullen Cornerstone The photo shows the cornerstone's placement on September 8, 1898. The red granite cornerstone, visible in the image, is still an integral part of the building today. Source: SU Special Collections & Archives Creator: N.M. Wilcox Date: 1898
Construction of Cullen Source: SU Special Collections & Archives Creator: unknown Date: circa 1898
Buggies in front of Cullen Source: SU Special Collections & Archives Creator: unknown Date: unknown

Location

Metadata

Megan Firestone, “Cullen [Administration] Building,” Placing Memory, accessed July 25, 2024, https://placingmemory.southwestern.edu/items/show/75.